Saturday 26 May 2012

How to beat Procrastination - for good!

Avoidance. Bottom line - That’s what procrastination is. Avoidance of doing the things that are necessary to get to the good stuff. The stuff that will ultimately make us feel great. However, the trouble with doing things that are ‘necessary’ is that they are uninteresting and the problem with ‘ultimately’ is that the only ‘ultimate’ thing we all know that is coming – albeit it some time away - is death (and nobody really wants to know about that.)

So with the odds stacked against doing what will make us feel good, it’s no wonder that we linger about in procrastination for a lot of the time. The trouble is that the more we hang around in procrastination, the more we seem to procrastinate and then we get mixed up in what we know is good for us and what we think is good for us. We pay attention to what we think is good enough for us – which ultimately is not good for us but in the short-term feels OK and what we end up with is...drum roll please...a life that we are not really happy about at all. A sort of second’s life. A life that, with all its good intentions, always ends up in the charity shop.

So we start asking questions – Why did I get myself into this? Why am I repeatedly procrastinating? and then the one it always leads to in the end - the most frustrating question of all – What exactly am I doing with my life? You see – procrastination is a massive habit we have learnt and without some conscious re-thinking it will do nothing but get bigger and bigger. One day you will scream out loud at the top of your voice (usually somewhere completely inappropriate) I’VE HAD ENOUGH! And lets face it – that’s not a pretty sight!

Conscious re-thinking – that doesn’t sound very fabulous does it?! You say - I’m doing very well at my procrastinating thank you very much! I don’t need any of your conscious re-thinking. I say - Ah...but you really, really do. You really, really do want to get the most out of your life and you really, really do want to do, the things that you really, really want to do!

So it’s time to stop kidding yourself. Its time to stop stroking yourself with the thoughts of ‘Oh I’m doing Okay with my life. Things aren’t really that bad’. I know I’m diving in the deep end with this one but yes, they are - ‘that bad’. Or to put it in a clearer way – they have become ‘that bad’. You have made them become that bad. But don’t be down hearted. This realisation is liberating. You’ve made your life this way, so you can change it. You can make your life any way you want to make it. And you probably want to make it better - which is where conscious re-thinking comes in. What you came here to do, isn’t to do Okay with your life – it isn’t even to do something good with your life – yep, you guessed it, you came here to do something GREAT with your life. That means honouring your self and your life. Today. Now.



I heard a brilliant quote around 18 months ago. It was “Let go of the good to make way for the great”. As soon as I heard it, it instantly changed my perspective. Some of the things in my life were good, but not great. So that’s all I did. I made that distinction and I made a promise to myself to always make way for the great. I even made a toast to it. It was a brilliant turning point. From now on I consciously clear the way for great things to come into my life. Good just doesn’t cut it anymore.
Create Your True Life

Much Love

Leona x
www.createyourtruelife.com

No comments:

Post a Comment