Wednesday 21 November 2012

6 Months on the Detox Lifestyle!

http://www.createyourtruelife.com/

6 months on the Detox Lifestyle!


I thought I'd share with you what I've learnt over the last 6 months with the view to inspire you to take up a detox lifestyle of your own.

How you organise your detox lifestyle is up to you and its different for everyone. Its fundamentally about getting rid of old habits and adopting new beneficial ones in your mind, body and spirit. If you're not sure of what habits you have or would like to change, make a diary for a week of the kind of excercise you do, food you eat, etc and then review it after the week is through. You'll soon see what patterns you have and what you'd like to change.


For me, I wanted to change my eating patterns. I was exercising quite regularly and was pleased with my habits there. However, I wasn't happy about my habits with food.

For my detox lifestyle to become more balanced, I wanted to change 3 main eating patterns:

1- Drinking a glass of wine most evenings.

2- Eating a bar of chocolate most evenings and

3- Eating toast every morning for breakfast.

So I decided to give up wheat, dairy and sugar for 30 days. 



Then 30 days turned into 6 months! :D

 

Here's the lowdown on my 6 month journey:

1- How much did you stick to the wheat free, dairy free and sugar free challenge?

In the first 30 days, I did about 98%. The 2% discrepancy was mainly to do with things that happened by accident! You would be amazed at how much sugar there is in food, even in those little spice mixes you get! Unbelievable.

In 60 days, I stuck to the detox about 90%. This was due to me wanting to try the things I hadn't been having for such a long time! (When I did, they didn't taste that great anymore anyway).

In 90 days, I stuck to it about 85% of the time and beyond 90 days I've kept to this percentage. The only times I'm ever eating wheat, dairy or sugar is when I'm out with friends, or if someone buys me lunch and they didn't realise the new lifestyle I'm into.

2- What were the highlights?

Day 20 was the first highlight for me. I could literally feel my legs thinner in my jeans! It was weird but good!

Day 30 was the second. I was so pleased that I had committed to the challenge and followed through to this milestone day! *proud*

Day 43 was the third highlight. It was an exciting day as I bought lots of new superfoods to try and was super excited to give them a go!

Day 63 was the fourth. I had gone down 3 notches on my belt! Amazing!

3- What were the lows?

Day 15 - Obsession. What was I going to eat and when was I going to eat it?

Day 35 - Boredom. After getting a routine going, things seemed samey. I researched new ways of doing things and got to changing things up. This was a crucial step and now I do this regularly.


Day 47 - Dehydration after consuming wheat and sugar. Realisation - this old food is not good for me!

4- What things did you notice changing other than the physicality of your body ?

I felt lighter, happier and more in control. I gained more determination, more eagerness and a great sense of achievement. I felt a strong sense of centredness.

5- What drove you to keep going?

- Remembering what it was like before, that 'not bothered' attitude of what I'm putting in my body. 

- The willingness to get to a place of noticeable change. 
- The feeling that I could inspire others if I really made a difference to myself.

6- What would you say to people looking to do their own detox?

That in order for you to see and benefit from the results,
you must do at least 30 days of whatever it is you want to change at 100%. After 30 days you don't have to be as hard-core and in fact its better for your well-being to realise that perfection is simply an illusion. Doing your best, as much as you can is what matters.

7- What kinds of replacement foods can you recommend for wheat free, dairy free and sugar free?


These are just some suggestions, its not an exhaustive list, just things that work for me. Experiment! Try your own.

Instead of chocolate = dried figs! (or any dried fruit without preservatives)
Instead of toast/bread eat = maize, rye bread or rye crispbreads
Instead of milk = rice or almond milk
Instead of yogurt = coconut butter
Instead of sugary or salty snacks = fruit, seeds, dried fruit, nut mixes
Instead of vinegar = olive oil
Instead of butter = olive oil
Instead of cheese = tofu or nuts, depending on the dish
Instead of tea/coffee = herbal tea (literally freshly chopped herbs)
Instead of frying = steam
Instead of meat = fish
Instead of sugar = manuka honey

 

So there you go! My 6 month summary with some suggestions for you. What do you want to change in your life? You can do it, I believe in you. Give it a go today! There's never a *perfect* time to start, except for now! :D

If you'd like to see my in depth blog about the first 90 days, it starts here. Or go to the Healthy Eating pages and scroll down. Enjoy!

Till next time,

Much Love


Leona.
http://www.createyourtruelife.com

3 comments:

  1. Spiritual Detoxification is a methodology of clearing your past thought designs and affections by purging your Aura and Chakras and raise your vibrational recurrence to the most astounding conceivable state so you can come back to your regular state of being Unconditional Love, Joy and Bliss. We provide Spiritual Counselling Services for individuals who need to clear their inner debris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting post.this is my first time visit here.i found so mmany interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion..thanks for the post!
    detoksikacia

    ReplyDelete